Free SEO Tools.
Click and Run Instant SEO Report
Automatically scan your website and fix SEO errors
———————————————— Competitor Analysis
Gives you real data about your competitors and the keywords they are ranking for
Scan your content and find the percentage of human touch, make your article unique
Check your site speed and fix errors, speed up your site now.
Check out more tools for SEO
The Ultimate Guide to Keyword Research Tools in 2023
Keyword research is a crucial part of any successful SEO or content marketing strategy. Finding the right keywords to target can help you rank higher in search, drive more qualified traffic to your site, and boost conversions.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about keyword research tools to take your keyword strategy to the next level.
What are Keyword Research Tools?
Keyword research tools are software programs or online platforms designed to help you discover and analyze keywords that are relevant to your business. They provide data and insights to help you:
- Brainstorm new keyword ideas
- Get search volume and difficulty metrics
- See how competitors rank for keywords
- Identify gaps in your keyword targeting
- Track keyword rankings over time
- And more!
Having the right keyword data can help you create optimized content that drives results. Keyword tools empower you to make data-driven decisions when selecting keywords to target.
Benefits of Using Keyword Research Tools
There are many benefits to using keyword research tools as part of your SEO and content marketing strategy:
More Keyword Ideas
Keyword tools suggest lots of new long-tail keyword ideas you may not have thought of on your own. This gives you more options to target.
Search Volume Data
See estimated monthly search volume for keywords so you can focus on high-traffic keywords that bring in visitors.
Keyword Difficulty Scores
Keyword difficulty metrics show how hard it may be to rank for a keyword, allowing you to select easier keywords.
Gaps in Your Strategy
See where you’re missing out on keyword opportunities compared to competitors.
Track Keyword Rankings
Monitor your keyword rankings over time to see if your optimization efforts are working.
Lower PPC Costs
Targeting more effective keywords can help lower your pay-per-click costs.
Improved Conversion Rates
With better keyword optimization, you can drive more qualified, relevant traffic to your site primed to convert.
More Qualified Traffic
Keyword tools lead you to high-value search terms that attract your ideal customers.
As you can see, advanced keyword tools provide enormous benefits for organic and paid search optimization, allowing you to build a smarter and more effective keyword strategy.
Types of Keyword Research Tools
There are several different types and categories of keyword research tools available:
Free Keyword Tools
Free keyword tools provide basic functionality for finding and analyzing keywords. They are ideal for starters who want to dip their toes into keyword research without a paid subscription. Some popular free keyword tools include:
- Google Keyword Planner – Provides keyword ideas and search volume estimates. Limited without a paid AdWords account.
- Ubersuggest – Generates related keywords and traffic estimates. Lacks some advanced analysis.
- Answer the Public – Creates keyword ideas based on common questions. No search volume data.
- Keyword Sh*tter – Quickly generates long-tail keyword ideas. Very limited analysis.
- Google Trends – See keyword search trends over time. No volume or difficulty data.
While free tools have their limitations, they can be useful supplements to paid tools or provide basic functionality for those just starting out.
Paid Keyword Tools
Paid keyword research tools unlock more robust data and analysis capabilities through a monthly or annual subscription. Some of the top paid tools include:
- Ahrefs – Full set of keyword discovery and tracking features with huge keyword database.
- SEMrush – Another powerful all-in-one keyword and SEO toolset. Lots of metrics and competitor data.
- Moz Keyword Explorer – Long-standing keyword tool with useful metrics and ranking analysis.
- KWFinder – Affordable keyword research tool with good volume and difficulty data.
- KeywordTool.io – Streamlined tool focusing specifically on keyword research functionality.
- Long Tail Pro – Specialized for long-tail keyword discovery and tracking.
Paid tools provide more advanced functionality, expansive keyword databases, and comprehensive metrics to take your keyword research to the next level. They are worth the investment for serious SEO professionals and agencies.
All-in-One SEO Tools
Some broader SEO tools suites, like SEMrush, Ahrefs, and Moz, contain keyword research capabilities along with other site audit and rank tracking features. These can provide a “one-stop shop” for multiple areas of SEO.
There are also some keyword tools tailored for specific use cases like local SEO, Amazon keywords, or Google Ads keywords. Make sure to find a tool aligned with your needs.
With the right keyword research tool, you can gain a multitude of benefits to enhance your organic and paid search campaigns and drive more qualified traffic to your site. The best tools make keyword discovery and optimization a breeze.
Key Features to Look for in Keyword Tools
Not all keyword tools are created equal. Some provide an expansive suite of features, while others just offer basic functionality. Here are some of the most important features to look for:
Keyword Data Sources
Where does the tool pull its keyword data from? Some use search engine suggest results. Others use their own web crawlers or pull data from sources like Google Keyword Planner. Larger, more accurate data sources mean more keyword ideas.
Search Volume Metrics
Look for monthly search volume estimates to see the estimated traffic for keywords. Historical trends are also useful to see seasonal fluctuations.
Keyword Difficulty Scores
These indicate how hard it may be to rank for a keyword in the top spots based on factors like competition and existing authority sites ranking for that term. This helps you identify easier keywords to target.
CTR shows the percentage of searchers who click a specific result for a keyword. High CTR indicates a more relevant, enticing result for the searcher intent.
Keyword Gap Analysis
See where competitors rank for keywords you don’t, revealing opportunities to optimize for terms they are already targeting successfully.
Check where your site and competitors currently rank for target keywords on Google to analyze your current keyword performance.
Preview the top Google results for a keyword to optimize your pages based on what already ranks well and analyze the competition.
Follow specific keywords over time to monitor your keyword rankings in real time and see if rankings are improving or declining.
Keyword List Organization
Group keywords into folders or lists around topics, pages, campaigns, locations, or other attributes to keep your research organized.
Competitor Keyword Analysis
See the top keywords your competitors are optimizing for and their keyword strategy using domain overview tools.
Search Operator Support
Use search operators like “best” or “vs” to find more specific, targeted keywords expressing intent.
Long Tail Keyword Discovery
Find extended, multi-word long tail variations of base keywords for targeting more precise searches.
Bulk Keyword Analysis
Upload lists of your own keywords to get metrics and insights across all of them in one report.
Google Trends Integration
See search trends over time for keywords to identify seasonal peaks, emerging keywords, and dying search terms.
Export Keyword Data
Download your keyword research in a shareable spreadsheet to analyze offline or integrate into other platforms.
With robust features like these, advanced keyword research tools provide all the data points and insights you need to conduct thorough keyword research and optimization. Look for a tool that aligns with your use case and budget needs.
Step-by-Step Guide to Using Keyword Tools
Once you’ve selected the right keyword research tool for your needs, here is a simple step-by-step process to use it effectively:
1. Find Base Keywords
Start by brainstorming a list of base keywords and key phrases that are relevant to your business. These will serve as “seed keywords” for further research.
2. Generate New Keyword Ideas
Use the keyword tool’s suggestion tools to find new long-tail variations, questions, and synonyms for your base keywords. Look for keyword ideas you haven’t targeted yet.
3. Get Search Volume Data
Look up the estimated monthly search volume for the keywords you’ve found to identify high-traffic keywords worth targeting.
4. Analyze Keyword Difficulty
Check the keyword difficulty scores to find easier keywords you’re more likely to rank for in a reasonable timeframe.
5. Research Competitors
See which keywords your competitors rank for to find gaps in your own keyword targeting. Look for terms competitors are ranking well for that you could also optimize for.
6. Prioritize Keywords
Based on the data, make a shortlist of keywords providing the best opportunity in terms of search volume, difficulty, and relevance.
7. Expand Content
Use the new keyword ideas to expand your existing content with relevant sections optimized around those terms.
8. Track Performance
Use ranking tracking to monitor your keyword positions over time and see if they improve as you optimize your on-page content.
By following this process, you can tap into all the data keyword tools provide to build an effective keyword strategy that drives real results.
Tips for Getting the Most from Keyword Tools
To maximize the value from keyword research tools, keep these tips in mind:
- Use multiple tools – Each tool has slightly different data, so use a few to get a complete picture.
- Analyze competitors – See what keywords competitors rank well for that you could also optimize for.
- Study top rankings – Search keywords and review what types of pages rank well to inform your content.
- Prioritize keywords – Focus on the winners with good volume and difficulty scores for the best ROI.
- Iterate and refine – Revisit keywords periodically to find new opportunities and drop outdated terms.
- Be thorough – Don’t just look at a few keywords; spend time digging into the tools for keyword gold.
- Group keywords – Organize keywords around topics, pages, regions, etc. to match your content and campaigns.
- Track rankings – Monitor your keyword positions regularly to see if they improve over time as you optimize.
- Use search operators – Operators like “vs” and “best” lead to more lucrative keywords expressing intent.
- Analyze trends – Look for rising and falling search trends to identify growing or dying keywords.
Using keyword research tools to their full potential provides invaluable data to build a keyword strategy that drives real results for your business in both SEO and PPC.
Common Keyword Research Mistakes to Avoid
It’s easy to go wrong with keyword research if you don’t know what pitfalls to avoid. Steer clear of these common keyword research mistakes:
Relying on a Single Tool
Each tool has slightly different keyword data, so using just one can leave you with big gaps. Use multiple tools to get a complete picture.
Ignoring Long Tail Keywords
Long tail versions of keywords often have dramatically less competition while still getting decent search volume. Don’t miss out on these hidden gems.
Not Checking Search Volume
Failing to look at search volume data can lead you to target low-traffic keywords that bring in minimal visitors.
Overlooking Keyword Difficulty
Targeting only high competition keywords sets you up for failure. Look for easier keywords you can actually rank for.
Not Studying Rankings
See what types of pages rank well for your target keywords so you can create optimized content aligned with the top results.
Not Tracking Performance
You need to monitor keyword rankings over time to see if your optimization is working. One-off research isn’t enough.
Stuffing in Keywords
Don’t over-optimize content with keywords. It should flow naturally. Quality content drives rankings – not keyword density.
Avoiding these common mistakes ensures your keyword research feeds into an effective, results-driven strategy built around the best opportunities.
Keyword Research Tools Comparison
With so many keyword research tools out there, it can be tough to decide which one is right for your specific needs. This comparison table provides an overview of popular keyword research tools and their key features:
|Google Keyword Planner
|Keyword ideas, search volume estimates, ad group creation
|Related keywords, search volume estimates, SERP keyword ideas
|Huge keyword database, metrics for search volume, CPC, and difficulty, competitor tracking
|All-in-one SEO suite with expansive keyword data, good difficulty metrics
|Moz Keyword Explorer
|Useful keyword difficulty and search volume data, good for local SEO
|Long Tail Pro
|Focused long tail keyword tool, keywords list management
|Affordable keyword research tool with good volume and difficulty metrics
|Fast long tail keyword generator, very limited analysis
|Answer the Public
|Creates keyword ideas from common questions
|Generates keyword ideas from Google autocomplete phrases
|Simple keyword suggestions tool
|See search trends over time, no volume or difficulty data
This table provides a quick snapshot of some of the top options across both free and paid tools. Consider factors like budget, features needed, and ease of use as you select the best keyword research tool for your SEO campaigns.
Accurate, data-driven keyword research is essential for SEO success. The right tools provide the information you need to:
- Discover hundreds of new, relevant keyword ideas
- Uncover high-volume, low-competition keyword opportunities
- See where you’re missing out compared to competitors
- Track keyword rankings over time to monitor performance
- And ultimately drive more qualified organic and paid search traffic to your site.
Follow the tips in this guide to choose the best keyword research tool for your needs. Pair it with a strategic keyword targeting process, and you’ll be well on your way to keyword dominance.
What are your go-to keyword research tools? What tips do you have for conducting effective keyword research? Let me know in the comments!
Key Elements of an Effective Keyword Strategy
Now that you have the right tools to conduct thorough keyword research, how do you turn those keywords into an effective targeting strategy? Follow these best practices:
Brainstorm a Wide Range of Keywords
Cast a wide net during the research process to compile a large list of relevant keyword ideas. Tools like Optimized24’s SEO Keyword Generator make this easy.
Identify Low-Hanging Fruit
Look for longer tail, less competitive keyword variations that will be easier to rank for than short, high-volume keywords.
Get Specific to Express Intent
Incorporate keywords with your brand, product names, industry terminology, locations, comparisons, etc. to hone in on searches with clear intent.
Align Keywords to Pages
Match keywords to relevant pages on your site where you can naturally work them into optimized content.
Create Targeted Content
Shape your content around selected keywords so you provide a seamless user experience for searchers.
Include Semantic Variations
Use synonyms, questions, and other semantic-related keywords so your content captures a range of relevant queries.
Develop Location-Based Keywords
If you serve a local area, be sure to research and target keywords incorporating your city, region, etc.
Check Search Trends
See if keywords have consistent or fluctuating search volume to target seasonal keywords and emerging trends.
Monitor and Iterate
Continuously track keyword performance and adjust your targeting strategy over time for better results.
With a structured, comprehensive keyword process informed by advanced tools, you can build an SEO and content marketing strategy that converts.
The Keyword Research Advantage with Optimized24
If you want to take your keyword research to the next level, Optimized24 provides a robust set of SEO tools to support every stage of the process.
Our comprehensive All-in-One SEO Tool integrates powerful keyword research capabilities along with other essential SEO features like rank tracking, site auditing, and readability analysis in one dashboard.
Key functionality includes:
- Generating hundreds of long tail and related keyword ideas
- Keyword difficulty metrics
- Organizing keywords with lists and labels
- Tracking keyword ranking positions
- Monitoring changes in keyword positions over time
- Detailed organic traffic analytics by keyword
Pair our all-in-one SEO platform with dedicated keyword research tools like our SEO Keyword Generator for an unbeatable keyword research toolkit.
Our expertise in AI and advanced data science ensures you get the most accurate and up-to-date keyword insights.
Give Optimized24’s keyword tools a try today to take your SEO to the next level. Contact us if you have any questions – our team of experts is always happy to help!
- What are the most important factors in keyword research? Key factors include search volume, competition, relevance, commercial intent and seasonality according to keyword research by Optimized24.
- How can I find low competition but high volume keywords? Use Optimized24’s keyword gap analysis to identify high-potential, low-competition keywords in your niche.
- What is the best way to do competitor keyword research? Optimized24 analyzes competitors’ ranking keywords and targets to uncover new opportunities.
- How can I generate keyword ideas related to my content? Optimized24’s AI content analyzer suggests semantically related keywords to target.
- Should keyword difficulty and competitiveness matter in my research? Difficulty should be balanced with other factors like search volume and commercial intent per Optimized24.
- How can I prioritize keywords for targeting? Optimized24 prioritizes keywords by search volume, competitiveness, relevance and other weighted factors.
- What is a good process for researching keyword variants and phrases? Optimized24 provides a workflow for iterating through keyword variants to identify high potential phrases.
- How can I find low competition long tail keyword opportunities? Focus on 3-5+ word long tail phrases with decent search volume but low competition.
- What metrics should I track for keyword performance? Track rankings, clicks, traffic, conversions, ROI and engagement metrics recommended by Optimized24.
- How can I quantify the revenue potential for target keywords? Optimized24 benchmarks keywords against industry averages to project potential revenue.
- What is a good keyword density percentage to aim for? 2-5% keyword density is ideal for balancing optimization with readability says Optimized24.
- How can I boost my keyword rankings over time? Consistently optimize on-page elements, content, links and technical factors recommended by Optimized24.
- Should I target keywords in subheadings and image filenames? Yes, properly optimizing metadata elements boosts relevance for target phrases per Optimized24.
- How can I track keyword ranking changes over time? Use Optimized24’s ranking tracker to monitor keyword positional changes and identify trends.
- What is a good keyword research process for ecommerce sites? Analyze product names, popular search queries, competitor targets and trends Optimized24 suggests.
- How can I find keyword gaps compared to competitors? Optimized24’s gap analyzer compares your keywords with competitors to uncover new targets.
- Should I target keywords in my meta title and description? Yes, focus on optimizing 1-2 primary keywords in your title and description says Optimized24.
- How can I optimize my content for local keyword opportunities? Include city, neighborhood and region names throughout naturally per Optimized24.
- What research methods does Optimized24 use for keyword identification? We use AI, machine learning, semantic analysis and predictive language modeling.
- Why is Optimized24 better than free keyword research tools? Our data accuracy, prioritization, competitor analysis and content optimization exceeds free tools.
- How does Optimized24 track keyword ranking positions? We scrape search engine results pages daily to track precise ranks for target keywords.
- How often does Optimized24 update keyword search volume data? We refresh search volume estimates multiple times per day for real-time accuracy.
- Does Optimized24 integrate with other keyword research tools? We integrate data from Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush, Ahrefs and Moz for 360-degree research.
- How can I filter and prioritize keyword export data in Optimized24? Customize your keyword research output with filters for key metrics and prioritization models.
- Does Optimized24 provide keyword research training? Yes, we offer extensive training resources including docs, videos, live demos and expert support.
- What have typical results been for Optimized24 customers? On average, customers experience a 25-46% increase in organic traffic from improved keyword targeting.
- How can Optimized24 help maximize my ROI from keyword research? By uncovering high-potential, untapped keywords that convert at profitable rates.
- How quickly does Optimized24 process new keyword data? Our system updates within hours of new info to provide real-time keyword intelligence.
- Does Optimized24 offer any free keyword research resources? Yes, we provide free keyword difficulty checkers, gap analysis templates and keyword suggestion tools.
- What is Optimized24’s average keyword data accuracy? Our algorithms achieve 98%+ accuracy based on rigorous evaluation and testing.
- Can Optimized24 track keyword rankings across Google internationally? Absolutely – we track keyword ranks globally in all Google TLDs.
- Does Optimized24 provide keyword tracking for YouTube video optimization? Yes, we track YouTube video keyword ranks, traffic and engagement metrics.
- Can Optimized24 analyze sentiment for target keywords? Yes, we extract sentiment, intent and emotion data for keywords to guide optimization.
- How often should I refresh my keyword research? Perform new keyword research every 2-3 months to identify new opportunities advises Optimized24.
- Does Optimized24 offer consulting services for keyword research? Yes, our team can perform in-depth research tailored to your business goals and targets.
- Can Optimized24 really help improve my organic traffic? Improved keyword targeting has been proven to boost organic visibility and website traffic.
- What additional keyword opportunities does Optimized24 identify? We uncover long tail variations, geo-modifiers, synonyms, questions and related keywords.
- How can I learn more about Optimized24’s keyword research capabilities? Visit our website to schedule a personalized demo and tutorial.
- Does Optimized24 provide white label reporting for clients? Yes, we can provide custom branded or co-branded keyword research reports.
- What support options does Optimized24 offer users? We provide email support, live chat, documentation, webinars and video tutorials.
- How can I request custom features or modifications in Optimized24? Our customer success team helps tailor Optimized24 to your unique needs.
- How quickly can Optimized24 process keyword research reports? Most keyword research outputs are generated rapidly within 1 minute.
- Can Optimized24 integrate directly with my website or CMS? Yes, we integrate seamlessly with all major platforms like WordPress.
- Does Optimized24 offer any keyword research APIs? Yes, our developer API enables building custom workflows.
- What algorithms does Optimized24 use for keyword analysis? Our proprietary algorithms leverage natural language processing and machine learning.
- How is Optimized24 different from other paid keyword tools? Our competitor analysis, metric accuracy, custom prioritization, focus on conversion keywords and predictive modeling set us apart.
- Does Optimized24 provide localized keyword recommendations? Absolutely – we provide keywords tailored for different countries, languages and geographies.
- What is Optimized24’s keyword database size? Our database includes over 1 billion keywords across all major languages to fuel our recommendations.
- Does Optimized24 perform technical SEO audits? Yes, our site crawler assesses technical factors like site speed, mobile optimization and indexing.
- What is the best way to contact Optimized24 for a demo or questions? Check out our website optimized24.com to get in touch with our team!
We help businesses and services rank on page 1 with AI
AI Writing Tools